"Design is so simple. That’s why it is so complicated." - Paul Rand
Welcome! I'm Dan and this is my tiny spot of the internet. I'm a UX Designer based in Austin, Texas. This website servers as a showcase and kind of resume for me. All the usual social links on the page if you want to see more.
Quick Note: My UX research indicates that most people dont read this stuff, so I'll be a brief as possible .
What type of "UX" am I?
I've been working in the field since the late 90s when the role was more, "Web Designer". I consider myself to be more of a UX Designer because that's what I enjoy the most. My primary focus has always been on usability and accessibility. I've worked for Government entities for the last 10 years so I get a lot of exposure to their wants and needs.
What Do I Do in the Field of UX Design?
I've worked on many projects but the highlights range from a multi-year, agile scrum team, state security licensing system encompassing mobile and web application solutions. To a single UX person working on a SaaS-like product supprting statewide consolidation of licensing and permitting applications and renewals, across subscribing agencies. The SaaS solution follows a specific product road map.
All the projects listed use a cloud based infrastructure with application components leveraging reusable existing products. For example, a microservice platform and common checkout service.
What Are My Relevant UX-related Skills?
Specifically my role encompasses:
- Meeting with the product team to discuss requirements.
- Creating wire frames and high fidelity mockups for pages and flows. (usually via Sketch and Invision).
- User testing pages and flows (where applicable).
- Defining and designing components and interactivity via a design system and style guide.
- HTML and CSS Asset creation.
- Accessibility testing where appropriate. Typically a QA was responsible for accessibility testing at the end of each sprint. I would act as more of a guide for the requirements.
When I'm not in front of the computer, I'm playing bass guitar, video games, or enjoying a movie... or 3!
Feel free to have a look around.